Let’s talk about lawn safety. When it comes to summer time, lots of us are working in our yards whether its planting flowers, vegetables, mulching, mowing, and fertilizing, we must consider what we are putting in our yard for the sake of our pups. One of the biggest things to do your research on is fertilizer.

Aside from the three most common ingredients Nitrogen, Phosphorus, & Potassium most commercial lawn fertilizers contain some amount of the products listed below that can cause an allergic or toxic reaction in your dog.

  • Herbicides (i.e., organophosphates)
  • Fungicides
  • Pesticides (i.e., carbamates)
  • Arsenic
  • Lead
  • Mercury
  • Iron
  • Cadmium
  • Sodium
  • Calcium
  • Copper
  • Zinc
  • Ammonium (irritates skin and lungs)
  • Disulfoton (responsible for seizures and pancreatitis)
  • Boron
  • Cobalt
  • Disulfoton
  • Manganese

Symptoms of Fertilizer Poisoning In Dogs

If your dog has ingested or inhaled fertilizer, here are some symptoms it could experience.

  • Ulceration in the gastrointestinal tract
  • Redness on the skin
  • Breathing difficulties
  • Tearing and redness of the eyes
  • Excessive blinking
  • Vomiting
  • Burns on the pads (if your pet walked through in your fertilizer application)
  • Licking or chewing on feet
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy and sleepiness
  • Abdominal pain
  • Coughing
  • Sneezing

If you see your dog is experiencing any of these symptoms, call your vet right away.

One easy way to determine whether a particular lawn fertilizer is likely to be safe is to look for “signal” words on the label, such as “pet-safe,” “non-toxic,” and “EPA” certified when looking for lawn products.

So the next time you’re out working in your yard, think about what your using and if it is safe to be around your dog.

Olivia Sabens

Ashford  Manor Labradoodles

Australian Labradoodles in Indiana